Monday, September 15, 2008

Eight Legs

There's a spider crawling up my wall. And I won't lie, it's so warm in here tonight that I think I'm a little delirious.

Truth be told, my house is full of spiders. Given the plethora of pests that can infest a house, I think me and my family have accepted that we'll always have an abundance of the eight-legged variety. I don't have a problem with them. They avoid people, and they feast on all manner of other bugs that would normally piss me off by buzzing around my room in the middle of the night*.

Some people have a huge problem with spiders. I guess, when they see them, they imagine arachnids like Sydney Funnel Web spiders or Black Widows, with huge abdomens and sinister fangs. Or perhaps tarantulas, with their aggressive urticating hair and menacing appearance. I don't know. I find them quiet interesting.

They probably find us rather appalling. We're five-to-six feet of thundering flesh, bad attitude, and self-righteousness. Something as nasty as a spider shouldn't be allowed to exist - can't be allowed to exist.

Of course, to a spider, all it can think about it that it just exists. Death could come at any moment, either from starvation or predation. Humans are just one more grisly end - pancaked between a hard surface and whatever handy bludgeon the fleshy pink meatbags might be able to grasp.

It's probably not healthy that I can identify better with an eight-legged insectivore than with my fellow people. After working in retail for a while, I've found myself to be rather barbaric at times. I'm not bad, but I'm given to informal outbursts. I can't understand how people think - or why they think the ways they do. A lot of times, what people do is completely selfish and arrogant. I could write stories about how people behave, but given how popular those tales were, I'd rather just stick a wad of salt in my mouth and sing hallelujah.

Maybe I'm just being selfish and arrogant myself.
But really, I'm fast running out of things to be.

Because in this "enlightened" world, I'm nothing if not ignorant.




As a post-script, if you haven't already, take a look for The Hawk is Howling. I guess it was available in Eastern Canada about a week ago. The cunts at our local music shops have no excuse for not having it now.

*Edit: Knight? Jesus. I've watched too much Batman.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hopefully you won't mind that this post really made me laugh.


I, for one, hate anything that intrudes my personal space. Even humans.

So.

That's how I explain myself.

D. said...

You know what bothers me more than spiders?

beatles. seriously. Those fuckers actually bite me.

AND they are all over this house. they are kill on sight.

I've been letting spiders live. They tend to leave me alone.

New Mogwai album is incredible.

Geoff said...

Yes. Beetles were one of the reasons we kept the spiders around. There was an invasion of some black and orange ones a few years back, and it was either them, or the common variety of Alberta spiders.

We chose spiders.