Friday, August 15, 2008

Braid - Not just for hair

So, I sucked it up and spent $15 to download Braid, which is a much ballyhoo'd title for the Xbork 360.

Lately, I've been frustrated with most of the other titles available on the console. GTA IV, while awesome for the first two thirds, has succumbed to that which ruined its earlier predecessors - namely, missions that are beyond difficult, and the endless task of micromanaging your entourage of whiny bitches who constantly demand you take them out to places, pay for everything, and them drive them home afterwards.

Oh, also, they get pissy if you blow them off.

Anyway. Back to Braid. So. It's like Mario. In fact, you could call it a Mario spoof. Kind of. The whole thing is steeped in what seems to be a giant three-dimensional watercolour. There's apparently a back story which could be described as vague and melancholy, but ultimately adds flavour to the game, as it explains all the useful powers that you gain throughout the various levels.

Did I mention you can rewind time? It's insanely addicting just on the basis that it's so humble. It's not very intense, but you find yourself replaying a puzzle over and over so you can collect the coveted puzzle piece. Collect all the pieces and you put together a piece of art - which also unlocks... something. I don't know what, as I'm only about halfway through the game, but I figure it'll be something good. There's also humble tributes and spoofs to all manner of side-scrolling adventures throughout the game. There's even one that mocks the venerable Donkey Kong.

Anyway. For those of you with a 360, I recommend buying it. For fifteen dollars, you get a pretty good game. Part of the reason I bought it was because there's been a bunch of people complaining that $15 is too much for a Live Arcade title. If you ask me, it's just about right.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it appears I won't be showing my face in public for a week while I beat this.

1 comment:

D. said...

Played the demo version today at a friends and i thought it was fun, but it didn't grab me like I thought it would.

Of course it was only a demo and I only played for 5 minutes.

Loved the art and music though.

I agree about GTA though. I was glad to finish the game because it just got so...meh.