Sunday, December 23, 2007

Klaus, you drive like my mother

I hope you all enjoyed my little mini-stories over the last few weeks. I really didn't have anything to write about, but it's never good to just stop writing. So I threw those together to just ramble through some things on my mind.

But anyway, onto a more serious note.
It's the Christmas season. And I'm working the front-lines in retail.
Notice how I didn't say it's Christmas. Because Christmas is a day that marks the simultaneous orgasm of nearly a month and a half of continuous marketing orgies.

I could go on about capitalist pigs, bullshit marketing, the phony holiday spirit, blah blah blah. It's the same shit every year. You were probably bored of it last year, let alone three years ago, so I'll spare you the diatribe.

I'll just say that I'm not pleased with the season. With the people. Or with their attempts to be godawfully cheap. You know the type of people. They're cutting corners, for whatever reason, and expect frivolous discounts. At the cost of my ever-increasing tic in my right eye. You know the one.

On the positive side, after the Christmas madness is over, I've got my eye on some tasty new videogames. Lately I've been playing some Hellgate: London. It's kind of a half-finished title at the moment, so I'd recommend holding off on it a while longer, but I've found it a much less infuriating alternative to the endless (and pointless) grinding in WoW.

Also, a friend of mine hooked me up with a Wilco album, insisting that I'd probably like it. I must say, after listening to it front to back to front, he couldn't have been more wrong. Where's the Mogwai, please?

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

They're cutting corners, for whatever reason, and expect frivolous discounts. At the cost of my ever-increasing tic in my right eye. You know the one.

I hate that this applies to more than just Christmas shopping. :(

Though for me it's more of a twitch in my ass.

D. said...

I've held off on my Christmas rant as well. I decided there was no point to it anymore.

I think I put Hellgate London on my half assed Christmas list despite hearing very, very mixed reviews.

Also isn't grinding/playing any game pointless in the end? I don't think WoW should be singled out there, so long as it's entertainment, I'm cool with it.

But yeah I suppose the REAL mindless grinding is pretty stupid. I'd much rather PVP/help out you guys.

Trevor said...

yeah, i can honestly say this year the Christmas spirit has pretty much missed me entirely. I feel something but not enough to justify the whole mood thing.

People on the other hand are idiots just like they have been ever year. People need to wake up and realize Christmas isnt about presents and being pricks to each other... there is so much more. Now to end that sappy statement.

WOW is getting stupid i wish the horde would just leave me alone. It got so bad yesterday I couldn't even finish dustwallow i had to leave cause they kept killing me. I never initiate fights with them they do, then i end up killing them, then they get whinny and bring in the big guns and i die over and over and over again. That part of the game sucks!

Geoff said...

That part of the game sucks!

That's pretty much the entirety of game for me right now, hence why you'll almost never ever see me playing anymore. Places to just quietly go about my business are practically nonexistent anymore, and the moment you prove yourself in combat against some cunt, he logs off, hops on his level 70 main, and then charges in guns blazing.

It's fucking retarded. Some days I'd rather gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons than play WoW. Especially since I'm now paying a fee to provide content to the self-same shit-wads that are ganking me in the first place.

No thanks.

Also - Hellgate's practically a half-finished game. But since there's so few people playing it, it's actually kind of nice to play with some friends. I'm hoping they provide some new content, but at the same time, hoping they don't fuck up like Blizzard did and make everyone pay for shit that only the super-elite I-play-ever-goddamn-waking-hour-even -when-I-pee cadre can use.

Also. Boxing Day sales make me want to fly into a homicidal rage.

D. said...

If people are constantly killing you in one area perhaps it's time to move to another and try and quest there?

I had my fair share of frustrations, but I've never really been THAT mad at the game or the people who play it.

It's like real life. There are a lot of idiots and tools, but what can ya do.

I suppose if it's more frustrating than fun it's really not worth playing, but I haven't got to that point yet.

Also, as I've read Hellgate: London has free accounts and subscriber accounts ($10 a month) or whatever, which is pretty stupid if you ask me. It's like you have to pay for the full effect, otherwise you are gimped and they are splitting their user base.

Also it seems more akin to diablo/other dungeon crawlers and I wouldn't ever pay a monthly fee on a game like that.

boobookitty said...

I got me a Wii for Christmas. :) Okay, did I really need a Wii? I dunno. In any case, amongst the adults we didn't go all out. We just got each other (or pitched in) for one nice gift. The rest of the attention was on my niece and nephew. As adults, I don't think we really need much these days unless it's something that's nice to have but can't bring ourselves to get it. Anyway, I try to ignore the whole commercial aspect of this holiday season. I try to look more at the giving side of things.

P.S.
Keep writing then you can. :)