Monday, December 31, 2007

2007: If only I could remember

I finally feel well enough to write this, so here it is.

2007 was a year that started out well, but wasted no time in taking the express route into the abyss. No small part of that was due to my seemingly excellent career choice, which to date has been responsible for a lot of unnecessary stress, hardship, and illness. Not to mention the disappearance of a large portion of my savings.

It was a year that put a hole in my heart and made me look at some things that I had thought to take for granted.

Truth be told, a lot of it was so horrible that I spent equal amounts of time in a drunken stupor, trying to forget about it. Or trying to cope. I can never be sure which. I watched a lot of things fall apart over the course of the year. My health was the worst hit, and today I still have a weight in my chest. If it acts up again, I'll probably end up going in to be checked for lung cancer. I'm not so pessimistic to believe it may actually be the case, but you know, after what happened this year, I wouldn't be surprised if I got saddled with some unforeseen legacy.

Of course, there were a few good parts of the year too, and I'll try my best to remember them. First thing that comes to mind was meeting the guys the first time in the Superstore parking lot. We all didn't say a lot, but there was power in that meeting, which also may have been the first, last, and only time all four of us were in the same spot together. Thinking back to it now, I'm surprised the world didn't split in half or something. Same with meeting the folks from the MG community.

I also broke the provincial barrier and experienced Eastern Canada for the first time in my life. Montreal was a fun experience, and my grasp of French is improving for my next trip there - hopefully sometime in the upcoming spring or summer.

2007 was also the year I met a particular artist, who painted a particular painting, and whom I'm hoping to see more of in the new year, regardless of distance.

I'm going to break tradition and not to a best/worst of 2007, lest I devolve into a three-page rant about all that was wrong with the year. There were a lot of good games, good music, and just generally good shit to be had, but just as well, there was equally bad shit.

There, I think that about covered all my bases. I'm not making any plans or expecting anything huge to happen in 2008. Like the rest of you, I'm now just going where life takes me, as any kind of long term plans I've laid have all come crashing down. And that, in the end, could end up being a very good thing.

Anyway, I hope you all had a decent new year's celebration. I'm going to lie down again, as my head has begun swimming again. I suppose I can make one new resolution - avoid zombies. Both the drink and the dead kind.

4 comments:

D. said...

I couldn't even remember if 2007 was the year we first "met" I was confused, sometimes it feels like years.

you'd be the best new person I met in 2007 though. that's your award.

we should all get together again sometime, it's kind of stupid that we haven't all done it again. Someone was always missing.

Let's all rob a bank.

Geoff said...

I agree. Although I was thinking we should go camping or something this spring. Just book four or five days off and just give'r for the mountains or something.

Failing that, yeah. Let's hit a bank.

Stephanie said...

"Sometimes it feels like years."

That's the best sign of a good friendship, I think. :)

I honestly have no idea when we all met Geoff here on Blogger, it's been a while though. Two, three years? Amazing.

Yes, you all should go camping. :) Or rob a bank and come get me so I can help you speeeeeeeeend.

Tracy said...

Hope it's not lung cancer :( I enjoyed meeting you too and wish we could have gotten together more often before you moved back to Calgary :) In the spring I'm sure we'll be down to visit! We still owe you a birthday drink :)