Monday, November 15, 2004

Profitable Ambition

It's been a long hiatus for me, and for those of you who read but don't comment, I apologize. Truth is, I've been tied up with edumafacation, employment, and my dear girlfriend. Between the shat that's been going on in the US government, and Yassir Arafat dying, there is too much to blog, and to be frank, most people don't care what I think about that anyway, so I'll touch on a more personal problem that I've had ever since I learned how to write.

My one and only truly enjoyable ambition in life has been my writing. Fantasy and Science Fiction are the peak of my employable enjoyment, and they are all that I really want to aspire to. Now, we all know how much an unknown author makes. Pretty much nil, which is why I'm sitting in a college classroom now, learning how to become a journalist.

Now, being a journalist is secondary to my prime ambition, but for some reason, everyone is expecting me to haul away as if I will be a reporter for a newspaper for the rest of my life, as if that is destined to be my career.

Well, it is best that I get this off my chest now. I was born into my career in Grade 6, and have been practicing it ever since that time. I don't aspire to write the critical articles that will level a nation with the sheer, raw facts. I know, that trying to do something like that would consume my life, and likely consume me as a person. That is not something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to write stories of awe and wonder, and I have been doing that for years, and now I am expected to go out and get a career.

Sorry, too late. I work hard in my classes, for I want to get into something that can support me when my regular writing can't. I put priority on my life over my ambitions, but when it comes to a priority of what I want to do with my life, my choice was made years ago.

2 comments:

JT said...

Hey, there! I just came across your site and I read this post. I totally feel your pain. I am embroiled deeply in a time-consuming career right now as an engineer and it is hard to find time to write. I have a first novel in the works that I feel really good about. It is my personal dream to be able to write stories of amazement to others, and to do this for a living instead of fueling the corporate machine. Good luck on your quest. Rewards hard-earned will be all the sweeter.

4nalogue.blogspot.com

Geoff said...

Indeed, thanks for the support. I was considering engineering, but the requirements for that course in my locale are somewhere between bionic and godlike. Good luck in the legend-crafting.