Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Zone



Gentlemen. I'm going back in.

Of all the games I've ever played, the STALKER series is still probably one of the most intriguing, if not one of the best. The first two games suffered from horrific crashes and bugs. But it seems like Call of Pripyat has all that under control. I've been in The Zone for the last three days, and so far, so good.

I think one of the reasons this franchise has survived is because of it's intriguing take on something both familiar and alien to us: the Zone of Exclusion around the Chernobyl reactor, but with a sci-fi twist that makes it so much more awesome.

The game could have no story-line whatsoever, but I'd still keep coming back just to be free to wander the zone and see what fucked-up marvels crop up next.

1 comment:

D. said...

Agreed completely. I love them.

Buggy as shit (at least the first one) but also fun as hell.

I have to admit I've never finished any of them and feel bad for it. I almost bought Call of Pripyat cause of that steam discount, but am holding off for now.

Metro 2033 (which I am currently pre-loading,YAY STEAM) is from some of the dudes who worked on the STALKER games apparently, and also looks great. I think it'll kill my computer, though.